Happy Girl!

Happy Girl!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Water, Weirdness, and Waiting

What a fun week.......at times.  I'm officially a stay-at-home mommy now.  I felt incredibly weird and out of sorts when all of my (some of my!) friends returned to work last week.  I couldn't stop checking Facebook for all of the updates, and I also found myself checking my work e-mail...which I can still log into!!  Super weird.  I'm finally feeling like that chapter is closed though.  This is my new life, and I'm thrilled.

Zoe spent quite a bit of time in the water this week.  We went to Hawaiian Falls last night for "Special Friends Night" with Prestonwood.  She loved the water, her friends from church, and joyfully shivered her way through the lazy river and the "wavey" pool.  It's been weirdly cooler this week....quite tolerable, especially for August in Texas.  Her lips were blue and her lower lip quivered the entire time, but we loved it!  

I bought a slip n slide for five bucks yesterday....instant entertainment for about an hour.  Zoe didn't quite get the hang of it, but her awesome neighbors are trying to convince her.  

We are in a bit of a holding pattern for physical therapy.  Our assignment this week is to "back off."  She hasn't done anything new in the last two weeks so we are going to back off a week.  Turns out, our super independent, ridiculously strong willed, "spirited" and "tenacious" toddler could quite possibly show some regression if we push a little too hard.  She's not standing unless she has a couch or something to lean on, which is fine, except for she doesn't want to do it anymore.  She's OK on hands and knees or looking out the window for a couple of minutes on her knees, but that's it.  I'm getting a little frustrated, but I'm constantly reminded that it's up to her.  She has to want to do it.  

Zoe and I met a precious little girl with spina bifida this week at Scottish Rite.  She was nine.  She was in a wheelchair and she and Zoe hit it off right way.  She asked me very sweetly, "Can she walk?"  I told her she couldn't, but it was a little early to tell if she would or not.  She responded very sweetly and told me that she could a little bit, but she wasn't very good at it.  Her mom has to help her stand up in her stander.  She was so sweet and understanding and accepting about it.  Such a healthy, happy little nine-year-old.  That's all we want for Zoe.  I'll take her anyway I can get.  It doesn't mean I'll pray less or accept less...what is "less" anyway?  I'm in love with a tiny blonde with beautiful little curls, a squeaky little voice, tantrum-ing two-year-old who has her whole life ahead of her and deserves the best.  I want her to be just as accepting as this other little girl we met.  God is in control and holds her future.

So we are just waiting on Zoe to decide what she wants to do.  I have absolutely no idea where she gets  her stubborn, hard-headedness, and sensitivity (haha), but I certainly know how to handle it.  The apple does not fall far from the tree...

She discovered her love of peanut butter!  It's official -- she belongs to me now!

Eating a "big chicken" while DOG eye-balls it.
Buddies

Attempting to slip n slide, even though she didn't like it much....try again???

Her new braces (hot pink camo!!) and her first pair...she's grown so much in the last 18 months!

Sweet Megan stopping to play with Zoe between slip n slides!

Her new wheelchair gloves!

No comments:

Post a Comment